lagraziana

Lagraziana's Kalliopeion

This is a blog about my reads as well as everything related to them.

My taste is for good quality literature - old and new. Some of it I review here or on my main book blog Edith's Miscellany.

A Town LIke Alice by Nevil Shute

A Town Like Alice - Nevil Shute
Here's an Australian novel by the very popular English-born author Nevil Shute, a classic first published in 1950 and never out of print since.

A Town Like Alice is the story of a young Englishwoman who inherits the small estate of an old uncle whom she hardly knew, even though in trust until her thirty-fifth birthday. When she receives her first cheque, she travels to Malaysia to build a well for the women of a village who showed hospitality, mercy and courage during World War II and thus saved her life and that of several other English women and children. There she learns that the Australian stockman who risked his life to give them food survived the torturous punishment of the Japanese occupying power. She liked him then and decides to search him in Australia beginning in Alice Springs...

I wrote a long review of the novel on my main book blog which you can find following the link to Edith's Miscellany.

Source: http://edith-lagraziana.blogspot.com